Monday, September 5, 2011

Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies


This quick and yummy recipe comes from one of my favorite blogs:  Gina's Skinny Taste.  Gina is a genius when it comes to reworking fabulous but fatty recipes into healthier versions.  What I appreciate most about Gina is she doesn't use artificial ingredients.  She uses butter and sugar and oil, but in sparing amounts and combined with ingredients like unsweetened applesauce.  Every recipe I have made from her site has become an instant favorite in our home, including this one.

The main dish for dinner was also from Gina's website - the chicken cacciatore - but I wanted to also whip up a quick, but not too decadent dessert (or, maybe I had a sweet tooth but didn't want to overdo it.  But that's just a maybe).  These little meringues were light and fluffy and delicious.  I wish I had one right now...

Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies: 
3 large egg whites (room temperature)
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup Enjoy Life semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (or other dairy free chocolate chip)


Heat oven to 300.  

Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment and a squeaky clean metal bowl (make sure everything is clean and dry), beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together at high speed until soft peaks form (mine were fairly stiff and it took about 10 minutes).

Gradually add the sugar in a little at a time, followed by the vanilla, beating well after each addition until you get stiff peaks, the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is glossy.

Fold in the chocolate chips.

Using a disposable pastry bag (or ziploc bag) with the tip cut off, pipe cookies onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30-45 minutes (it took me 33 minutes), until the cookies are *just* dry.  Let cool and store covered, at room temperature.  Makes around 30 cookies.

(P.S.  You must also immediately make this recipe for Asian Glazed Drumsticks.  I would have drunk the sauce with a straw if I didn't think my husband would turn away in shame.  I promise to do a post on it later, but do not wait.  Make it.  NOW.)

Source:  Gina's Skinny Taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment